Home   Bourne   Sport   Article

Subscribe Now

Peterborough and District Football League round-up

Bourne Town A moved another step closer to championship glory after recording their ninth successive victory on Saturday.

The Wakes were 4-1 away winners at Uppingham Town Reserves in their Peterborough League Division Three clash.

It extended their advantage at the top of the table to 13 points and they will be crowned champions this weekend if they avoid defeat against second-placed YDP whose match against Deeping Rangers A was postponed on Saturday with the Clarets unable to raise a side.

Like most games this season, Bourne went into Saturday's match needing to guard against complacency and continue the superb team togetherness that has got them in the title race.

The game was only five minutes in when Dan Rayner pressed the Uppingham keeper who kicked the ball against the Wakes player with the rebound going into the net.

Further chances fell to Liam Gibson and the marauding full-back Jake Dilley who both sent chances over the bar.

The Wakes didn't have things all their own way. Uppingham were very combative in the tackle and worked tirelessly all afternoon.

Their deep runners from midfield kept the Wakes back line of Sam Moore, Tom Ward, Darren Halliday and Dilley on their guard.

Bourne doubled their lead when a Matt Bills through ball to James Ferrow resulted in the Uppingham keeper taking the latter out. From the penalty, Rayner secured his and the team’s second goal.

Uppingham cut the deficit on the the stroke of half-time after a free kick was conceded on the edge of the Wakes box.

The kick was superbly struck and, despite a fantastic save from Ben Asplin, the Bourne defence were slow to respond and Omar Elkashoty scored from close in.

For the first 15 minutes of the second half, the Wakes struggled to get any pattern to their play. Uppingham had a goal disallowed for offside and there were other goalmouth scrambles.

Asplin had to be at his best again, pulling off an excellent save to his right, but gradually the introduction of Matt Dodson, Alfie Woodward and Nathan Bills from the bench had a positive impact on proceedings .

All got a foot on the ball by playing a pass and helping better game management.

The Uppingham keeper tipped one over from a Woodward cross-come-shot before Nathan Bills was fouled in the box with the referee giving a penalty, but subsequently play was pulled back for offside.

The third Bourne goal deservedly came due to the pressure at the time. Rayner's corner was met superbly by Ward, who leapt like a salmon at the back post to put a great header into the net.

To finish the scoring, Ferrow slid the ball through to Rayner who capped an excellent afternoon's work to complete his hat-trick.

Uppingham Town's first team were without a game on Saturday while title rivals Moulton Harrox were 5-1 winners over Oakham United.

United had shared the spoils in a 1-1 midweek draw with Wittering Premiair.

Rob Parker-Meadows scored for Oakham with Ben Roberts on target for the Harriers.

Wittering then lost 4-1 at Whittlesey Reserves on Saturday with Charlie Armitage scoring their goal.

Stamford Bels went down to a 1-0 away loss at Ramsey Town.

Six second half goals guided Deeping United to an emphatic home win against Wittering Premiair Reserves in Division One.

Daryn Whiteman (two), Jake Rayment, Harry Catanach, Ben Catanach and Tiago Camilo netted after the break in the 6-1 home success.

Deeping United Reserves were beaten 4-2 at home by Whaplode Drove Rovers in Division Two despite Jay Handley hitting a goal double.

Stamford Lions were beaten 3-0 by Park Farm Pumas while Oakham United Reserves lost by the same margin at Warboys.

King's Cliffe lost 6-2 at home to Tydd Reserves with Neil White scoring both of their goals.

Stamford AFC Reserves' title hopes in Division Four suffered a setback after a 2-1 away loss at Cardea Reserves.

Julian Andre scored for the Daniels who are now a point behind league leaders Peterborough City Reserves having played two games more.

Four goals from Liam Reilly helped Wittering to a 9-2 home success over Leverington A.

Jude Bloodworth also hit a hat-trick with Spencer Haskins and Tom Ward netting the other goals.

Stamford Lions Reserves lost 6-1 at Moulton Harrox Reserves with Cody Roe scoring their goal.

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies - Learn More