Home   Grantham   Sport   Article

Subscribe Now

Harrowby United beat Holwell Sports in the United Counties League

A hat-trick from top scorer Harry Allcock helped Harrowby United finish their two-game Easter programme in style on Monday.

Allcock's treble was backed up by goals from Elliot King and Toby Lee as the Arrows ran out 5-0 winners against Holwell Sports in front of a crowd of 180 at the JRL Brickwork Stadium.

It ensured Harrowby picked up maximum points over the Bank Holiday to keep them in the United Counties League Division One play-off places with four matches remaining, writes Mark Fardell.

Harry Allcock, left. Photo: Steve Nesbitt @lincssnapper
Harry Allcock, left. Photo: Steve Nesbitt @lincssnapper

They went into Monday's match with revenge on their minds after a 3-2 defeat earlier in the season against Holwell who they hadn't beaten in the last four meetings.

There was one change from the weekend win over Gedling with Kemal Yeniberitz coming in for Charlie Hart as he passed 100 appearances for the club.

Harrowby's intent was there to see straight from the first whistle as they put Holwell's back line under pressure.

Wingers Tom Harris and Jon Smith were causing all sorts of problems but, after three or four good chances went begging, it looked like another one of those days against Holwell.

The breakthrough finally came as the impressive Harrison Dee drove a shot from outside the box and it clipped top scorer's Allcock's heel to wrong-foot Alex Brown in the Holwell goal.

The Arrows doubled their lead just a minute later with Smith, King and Jack Gurney linking up again for Allcock to finish well.

Harrison Dee. Photo: Steve Nesbitt @lincssnapper
Harrison Dee. Photo: Steve Nesbitt @lincssnapper

The home side were now in complete control with Holwell struggling to contain Harrowby going forward.

The visitors had a couple of breakaways but home goalkeeper Jake Frestle was not tested all first half.

Lack of finishing cost Harrowby the chance to put the game out of the visitors' reach by half-time as opportunities went begging.

Holwell had their best spell after the break and created a couple of chances for Tom Pope who headed wide when well placed.

Harrowby then virtually wrapped the game up minutes later as Allcock again escaped his marker and finished well past Brown for his hat-trick.

Arrows boss Jamie McGhee had the luxury to use his full bench as Allcock and Harris were replaced by Lee and Brima Daramy.

It was all Harrowby now and Lee got his second goal for the club by firing in from the edge of the box to leave the Arrows in cruise control.

The final goal of the game came from another great set piece from skipper Gurney which fell to Daramy whose shot was flicked home by the tireless King who linked up so much of the Arrows' play.

The victory leaves Harrowby in fourth place ahead of a big game on Saturday as they visit play-off rivals Dunkirk.

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies - Learn More