Home   Lifestyle   Article

Subscribe Now

Memory Lane: Bottesford RAF man tackles mountains during hurricane in 1996

An RAF man was in the Welsh mountains when a hurricane hit in 1996.

Mark Jones, from Bottesford, knew all about the misery of strong winds such as those that hit Grantham at the time.

When Hurricane Lily hit the town in 1996, Mark and seven teammates were taking part in the Cambrian Patrol, one of the Armed Forces toughest tests of endurance and navigation.

Mark Jones, from Bottesford.
Mark Jones, from Bottesford.

Over 90 teams took to the hills in freezing rain and 90mph winds.

However, Mark got through the challenge and achieved a coveted bronze award.

50 years ago – Gardener gets to keep trophy after so many victories

A Grantham gardener won a prize for the fourth year in a row in 1973.

Peter Arbon lifted the top prize in Grantham’s Corporation’s Gardens competition and was

allowed to keep the trophy for good.

Unfortunately, at a prize presentation, Mr Arbon was unable to collect his prize as he couldn’t get time off work.

In the competition, Mr Arbon beat his old rival Wilfred Turpin by one point - 95 to 94 - to retain his title.

Mayor of Grantham, Councillor Paul Jones, said Mr Arbon would keep his trophy due to his notable wins and because of local government reorganisation.

Third place went to Alfred Featherstone with 84 points, who was just one point in front of fourth place Dorothy Cantrill.

Fifth place went to Derek Minckley with 79 points.

10 years ago – Former paratroopers pay respects in parade at Manor

Former paratroopers paid their respects in 2013 to colleagues who died in the Second World War.

Members of the Newark and Lincoln branches of the Parachute Regimental Association gathered at Harlaxton Manor for their annual Remembrance parade.

They paid their respects in Pegasus courtyard, where there has long been a large plaque representing the 1st British Airborne Division, a contingent of which was based at the manor after the Battle of Arnhem.

Before the parade, a small version of the plaque was presented to the principal of the college based at the manor, Dr Gordon Kingsley. Students also turned out for the event.

A member of the Newark branch, Roy Church, joined the parade.

He repaired the plaque in the early 1990s after discovering it at the manor while working for the Electricity Board.

Roy joined the Parachute Regiment reserves after National Service.

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies - Learn More