Home   Lincoln   Article

Subscribe Now

Lincoln firefighters praised after pet dog brought back to life following Albert Road house fire





A family dog has had a lucky escape after being rescued from a house fire last weekend.

Lottie wasn’t breathing when she was rescued by firefighters from the home in Arthur Street, Lincoln, on Sunday, but has confounded expectations by making a full recovery from her ordeal.

The home’s other occupants were not in the building, but firefighters were told their dog was inside.

Lottie's normally white fur was stained grey by the smoke
Lottie's normally white fur was stained grey by the smoke

Getting into the property through a rear kitchen door, Katie and Richard from Lincoln South fire station entered the smoke-logged house and rescued the small dog.

While other firefighters worked to put out the fire, they gave oxygen to Lottie who was normally fluffy white but was totally black from the smoke and wasn’t breathing.

Using the special pet CPR masks that are now on every fire appliance, donated by the RSPCA, after 20 minutes, Lottie started showing signs of life and her eyes opened.

The emergency vet arrived and Lottie was placed in an oxygen tent overnight. After multiple observations and tests, the vet was delighted to tell the owners that Lottie will make a full recovery.

Lottie before the fire. | Image: Lincolnshire Fire and Rescue
Lottie before the fire. | Image: Lincolnshire Fire and Rescue

“I’m very proud of the swift action taken by our firefighters at this incident,” said Lincoln South fire station crew manager, Kenny McLaughlin.

“Although we are used to rescuing people and animals from properties, the effects of smoke on small animals is often too much for them.

“In fact, the vet commented that in 15 years of witnessing pets pulled out of house fires, he had never seen one recover.

“We’re so pleased that Lottie has been one of the lucky ones and that she is on the mend, but also that this incident was prevented from being much worse.

Lottie before the fire. | Image: Lincolnshire Fire and Rescue
Lottie before the fire. | Image: Lincolnshire Fire and Rescue

“The fire itself was caused by a candle left unattended – something that is so easy to do, but can have catastrophic consequences.

“Again, our crews arrived and took action to extinguish the fire quickly so that the majority of the fire damage was contained to the dining room.

“But the whole house has suffered smoke damage, and this is a timely reminder to always make sure you blow out candles when you leave a room, or use LED candles instead.”



This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies - Learn More