Home   Rutland   Sport   Article

Subscribe Now

Oakham United beat Warboys Town to win the Peterborough Senior Cup

Oakham United defied a turbulent build-up to lift the Peterborough Senior Cup for the first time in their club history.

The Peterborough League Premier Division side had been rocked by the departure of manager Lea Jordan just days before their cup final with Warboys Town.

Jordan decided to resign from his role after being hit by a two-match stadium ban following a sending off nearly two months before the final at Peterborough United's Weston Homes Stadium.

Goalkeeper John Swales.
Goalkeeper John Swales.

Assistant boss Dave Parker-Meadows took charge of the team and their game-plan worked to perfection as they quelled the threat of a Warboys side who had won the two league meetings between the sides this season.

The match finished goalless after 90 minutes before Oakham won 4-2 on penalties with goalkeeper John Swales following up some superb saves during the game with two crucial spot kick stops.

Parker-Meadows said: "It was such a shame that Lea wasn't with us and the way that it has been dealt with is totally out of order.

"We all accepted that he should have been suspended but it should have been done within those 10 games after the incident.

"We were all gutted that he decided to leave because of it but it did definitely galvanise the lads.

"My one aim was to try and get it right for the lads to win it and we did that.

"The tactics which myself and Lea had put together worked because we quashed their threat which was our aim."

Oakham - who had won the Senior Cup under their previous guise as Rutland Rangers - were boosted by several players returning from injury for the final against their Premier Division rivals.

Warboys began the brighter of the two teams and, although they enjoyed the lion's share of the possession, Oakham created the better chances as the match wore on.

Jamar Dobson twice went close while Eddie Sakovich struck a goalbound shot which hit a prostate Oakham player who had been grounded following a setpiece on the line.

Swales then produced some stunning saves in the second half to send the match to penalties where Oakham held their nerve.

Their goalkeeper saved Warboys' first and fourth penalties while Jamie Stephens, Stewart Lambie, Ryan Smalley and Lewis Duncan were all successful for Oakham before the celebrations could begin.

Parker-Meadows added: "It was really nice to do it at Peterborough United because a lot of those lads had never played there before.

"I have been lucky over the years with my football and did that sort of thing but it was still nice to go out as a manager and do that - it was just a shame that Lea wasn't with me.

"It was a weird feeling and very stressful. I checked my heart-rate all night and it never went below 115.

"It was that weird feeling of absolutely loving it but not wanting the lads to lose for them.

"It was great that we did it and I was really chuffed and proud of them. It was a great atmosphere.

"The lads did everything that we had asked of them and it all slotted in and worked to plan which goes down to what the players did on the pitch.

"Warboys started off the quicker side which we knew they would because it often takes us 15 minutes to get settled into a game.

"I knew that if we could keep it at 0-0 until that point then we would grow into it and that's how I felt the game went.

"I was nervous for the penalties but I did feel confident and John showed what a great keeper he is."

Oakham are looking for interested candidates for the vacant position of first team manager.

Anyone interested should email info@oakhamunited.co.uk ahead of the deadline on Wednesday, May 29.

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies - Learn More