Home   Spalding   News   Article

Subscribe Now

Long Sutton father and son avoid jail following Christmas Day assault

A father and son who assaulted their neighbours on Christmas Day have been spared immediate jail sentences.

Jason Hutchinson, 51, and Owen Hutchinson,18, became involved in a violent dispute after someone from their home in Anfield Road, Long Sutton, was suspected of ‘keying’ a neighbour's car.

Lincoln Crown Court heard the Hutchinson's neighbour, Jason Reeve, came home from a Christmas Day visiting family to find his car had been vandalised.

Lincoln Crown Court
Lincoln Crown Court

Doorbell footage apparently showed two women emerging from the Hutchinson's home and going towards Mr Reeve's Ford Fiesta, the court heard.

The court was told Mr Reeve became ‘understandably angry’ and reacted by going to the Hutchinson's home and saying that he was going to smash his neighbour's windows.

As the situation deteriorated Owen Hutchinson was heard stating that Mr Reeve was ‘going to get it’, and armed himself with a metal bar which he used to hit the roof of his neighbour's porch.

Mr Reeve retreated into his own property, and at that point Jason Hutchinson arrived home and became involved in a confrontation with Mr Reeve's partner, Hayley Ewers, punching her to the face.

The court was told Mr Reeve picked up a plastic baseball bat which he kept beside his front door, but he was pulled outside and struck with the metal bar.

Mr Reeve ‘ran away in fear’ but was caught by Jason Hutchinson who repeatedly kicked and punched him.

Another neighbour who witnessed that assault said they thought ‘Jason Hutchinson was trying to kill Mr Reeve’.

Miss Ewers’ son, Benjamin Murray, was also assaulted after seeing Jason Hutchinson punching his mother.

The court heard Mr Murray saw Owen Hutchinson with the metal bar and during the confrontation felt two blows including one to his head.

Victim impact statements from Jason Reeve and Benjamin Murray were read out in court.

They confirmed Mr Reeve suffered an eight-centimetre cut to the left side of his head and that Mr Murray also suffered a cut to his scalp.

As a result of the incident the family were also re-homed.

Jason Hutchinson, 51, and Owen Hutchinson, 18, both admitted two charges of causing grievous bodily harm to Jason Reeve and Benjamin Murray on December 25, 2022.

Jason Hutchinson also pleaded guilty to a single charge of common assault on Hayley Ewers, and Owen Hutchinson admitted a charge of possessing an offensive weapon.

The court heard Jason Hutchinson had suffered from a complex form of Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD) since childhood which was confirmed by a psychiatric report which was put before the court.

John McNally, mitigating for Jason Hutchinson, said he was a hard working father with a number of children and had not been before the courts for 20 years.

Mr McNally told the court Jason Hutchinson was not involved at the start of the incident and argued he could be dealt with by a suspended sentence.

"Everything blew out of all proportion," Mr McNally added. "Whatever the rights and wrongs this should not have happened.

"What Jason Hutchinson came back to was an incident in which he took his family's side."

The court heard Owen Hutchinson had no previous convictions.

Chris Jeyes, mitigating for Owen Hutchinson, said he was only 16 at the time of the incident and was not involved in the second part of the violence.

Mr Jeyes told the court Owen Hutchinson was also not involved in the incident involving the car and accepted ‘over-reacting’ after threats were made to smash his family's windows.

"This was very much an isolated incident," Mr Jeyes added.

Passing sentence on Monday (June 17) Judge James House KC said it was a difficult sentencing exercise and the female figure who ‘keyed’ Mr Reeve's car bore much of the responsibility for what happened.

"On face value this was a violent incident between neighbours on Christmas Day, 18 months ago, when drink, as is often the case on Christmas Day, had been sloshing about," Judge House remarked.

Judge House told the pair that however it started both Owen Hutchinson and Jason Hutchinson had acted in a disgraceful manner.

But Judge House said the age of Owen Hutchinson, and the underlying mental health conditions suffered by both, meant he could avoid immediate jail sentences.

Jason Hutchinson was sentenced to 16 months imprisonment suspended for two years.

He must also complete a six month alcohol treatment course, 30 Rehabilitation Activity Requirement days and obey a nightly curfew for four months.

Owen Hutchinson was sentenced to nine months in a young offenders institution suspended for 18 months.

He must also complete 30 rehabilitation activity requirement days and obey a nightly curfew for three months.

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies - Learn More