Home   Stamford   Sport   Article

Subscribe Now

Stamford AFC beat St Ives Town in the Southern League

A bold attacking approach paid dividends for Stamford as they recorded an excellent away win at St Ives on Easter Monday.

The Daniels were 4-1 winners against a Saints side who are the highest goalscorers in the Southern League Premier Division Central.

They also possess one of the division's leading marksmen in Jonny Edwards but goals from Jack Duffy (two), the returning Mikey Armstrong and Lee Shaw kept Stamford's faint play-off hopes.

Jack Duffy scored twice. Photo: Rob O'Brien
Jack Duffy scored twice. Photo: Rob O'Brien

Boss Drury said: "I told the lads before the game that no manager was going to St Ives to be as brave as we were.

"We had more attacking players than ever. It was a case of he who dares, wins, and we went for it because it was a last chance saloon."

After Stamford's goalkeeping issues 48 hours earlier against Royston, it was St Ives' turn to have problems between the posts.

Dual registered keeper Sam Bentley was recalled by parent club St Albans which saw midfielder Michael Richens take on the goalkeeping duties.

The home side started the brighter of the two teams but Daniels goalkeeper Michael Duggan was determined to make amends for his sending off against Royston with a series of fine saves.

He turned away a close range effort from Amaru Kaunda before a full length save to keep out a strike from Ed Hottor.

Opposite number Richens then showed his goalkeeping prowess with a superb stop from James Blunden's header.

St Ives then took the lead midway through the first half as Jake Hutchings bundled the ball home from a corner.

However, Stamford needed just two minutes to level Rhys Hilton picked out Shaw who drove home his finish past Richens.

Lee Shaw. Photo: Rob O'Brien
Lee Shaw. Photo: Rob O'Brien

Stamford then hit the front for the first time just the half-hour mark as Tendai Chitiza teed up Duffy who rounded off a fine move with an emphatic finish.

St Ives hit back looking for an equaliser and both Dan Barton and Kaunda had efforts ruled out for offside either side of the interval.

Stamford then made some shrewd changes and it was substitutes Michael Frew and Armstrong who combined for the third goal with 10 minutes remaining.

They worked an opening before Armstrong marked his return from a loan spell at Hinckley Leicester Road with a superb strike.

St Ives pushed more players forward in search of a way back into the contest and Richens was replaced by full-back Paddy Casey in goal.

But it was Stamford who had the final say as they cleared their lines to release Duffy who charged clear before finishing with aplomb.

Graham Drury. Photo: Rob O'Brien
Graham Drury. Photo: Rob O'Brien

The home side then finished the match with 10 men when Jordan Williams was dismissed for an outburst at the referee.

Boss Drury added: "They should have put us to the sword in the first half because they had the chances but Duggy was outstanding and made two great saves.

"It was also great to see Mikey back us. He needed those three games at Hinckley and scored two goals while he's been away.

"He did an unbelievable job and looked like the old Mikey. It did his confidence good and the strike which he hit was as good as you'll see."

The victory keeps Stamford in seventh spot ahead of Saturday's home match with Long Eaton.

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies - Learn More