Home   Stamford   Sport   Article

Subscribe Now

Uppingham Town are beaten by Warboys Town in the Peterborough Senior Cup

Uppingham Town's reign as Peterborough Senior Cup holders ended on Saturday after a penalty shoot-out defeat against Warboys Town.

The match at Tod's Piece had finished all square after 90 minutes with Ollie Lewin and Josh Porter scoring for Town in a 2-2 draw.

However, the Witches won 5-4 on penalties to avenge last season's semi-final defeat against Uppingham.

Josh Porter doubled Town's lead.
Josh Porter doubled Town's lead.

Town had held a two-goal lead going into the final 15 minutes of the first round tie and also hit the crossbar before Warboys struck twice late on.

Manager Paul Sheehan said: "It was disappointing to go out of the cup.

"We were in a strong position and didn't control the game enough in the last 15 minutes, slicing a lot of clearances and we lost a bit of shape.

"It's something that in the past we have done really well so hopefully it's just a one off.

"Warboys are a very good side but they didn't have to work that hard to score both their goals.

"The big moment in the game was when we hit the crossbar and couldn't convert the rebound as 3-0 would have seen us win the game."

A cagey first half saw Town take the lead when Lewin lashed home a half-volley from the edge of the box.

Warboys came out for the second half strongly and Town goalkeeper Tom Hubbard saved well from a deflected shot while Danny Sheehan cleared off the line after the ball was cut across the goal.

Town then doubled their advantage as Porter collected the ball on edge of the box and rifled his finish into the bottom left-hand corner with a powerful drive.

Two nearly became three when Johan Coughlan cut in on his left foot and rattled the crossbar with a shot with Rob Forster's rebound being smothered by the Warboys goalkeeper.

The Witches then cut the deficit with 15 minutes left as a header from a corner was sliced by a Town defender and, as Callum O'Berg cleared off the post, it hit goalkeeper Hubbard and went in.

O'Berg saw a fierce shot well saved by the Warboys goalkeeper after linking well with Martin Turiccki before the visitors equalised in the last minute.

A deep cross was hooked back across the goal and an unmarked midfielder finished to send the tie to penalties.

O'Berg, Sam Eldridge, Harley Pridmore and Sam Blackwell were successful from the spot for Uppingham but Luke Gove missed the third penalty while Warboys converted all of their five to move into the next round.

Town return to Premier Division action on Saturday with a home match against Crowland Town.

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies - Learn More