Home   Rutland   Sport   Article

Subscribe Now

Oakham United beat Crowland Town to reach the semi-final of the Peterborough Senior Cup

Oakham United are 90 minutes away from a cup final appearance at a League One ground.

The final of this season's Senior Cup is being held at Peterborough United with Oakham securing their place in the semi-finals at the weekend.

They defeated Premier Division rivals Crowland Town 3-2 and now face Moulton Harrox next month for the right to face Warboys Town in the final at the Weston Homes Stadium on Friday, May 17.

Michael Uff. Photo: Rob O'Brien
Michael Uff. Photo: Rob O'Brien

Saturday's quarter-final clash was switched to the 3G surface at Borderville in Stamford due to a waterlogged pitch at Oakham's Newton Fallowell Meadows.

And the Rutland side came flying out of the blocks to score twice inside the opening 20 minutes before adding a third goal after the break.

Crowland then piled on the pressure in search of a way back into the contest but, despite conceding twice, Oakham held firm to book their place in the last four.

Manager Lea Jordan said: "It wasn't the perfect performance but it was one of those games where we did what we had to do to win it and we did that really well.

"We were on top for the first 15 minutes and took our chances and then got a third goal after starting the second half well.

"We then had to defend a lot but we were always expecting that because Crowland were always going to come at us at some point.

"We were prepared for that. We were stubborn and we defended really well so I was really happy to get through."

Oakham had taken the lead when Stewart Lambie drilled in a low free-kick which was turned home off the post by Jamar Dobson.

The outstanding Michael Uff then created and scored the second goal which doubled Oakham's lead shortly after.

The defender went marauding forward after winning possession before linking well with Cardin Pierre-Liverpool and Dobson and then finishing in a one-on-one with a deft touch past the goalkeeper.

It gave Oakham a two-goal cushion to take into the break and they added a third shortly after the restart when Dobson finished well after a well-worked move.

Tyrell Campbell-Smith went close to adding a fourth with a header before Crowland came into the contest.

They finished strongly and cut the deficit through goals from Corban Oldham and Nathan Pickering but were unable to force an equaliser as Oakham defended well.

Lewis Duncan had a superb game despite playing out of position alongside Uff and Dale Taylor while goalkeeper John Swales also made some crucial stops.

Oakham now return to Premier Division action on Saturday with a derby duel against Stamford Bels at Welland Academy.

They still have 16 league games remaining having only played two Premier Division matches since the turn of the year.

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies - Learn More