Home   Rutland   Sport   Article

Subscribe Now

Uppingham Town have a break from Peterborough League Premier Division action

Uppingham Town manager Paul Sheehan is hoping an unexpected break from action will help ease his side's injury crisis.

The reigning Premier Division champions saw their game at Ramsey Town on Saturday postponed due to a frozen pitch.

Their scheduled game this coming weekend against Whittlesey Reserves has also been called off due to their opponents' county cup commitments.

Martin Turiccki was sent off in Town's last match against Sawtry.
Martin Turiccki was sent off in Town's last match against Sawtry.

With no match currently arranged for the first weekend of next month, Town will not be in action until February 10 when they travel to Stanground Sports.

Although the break means Martin Turiccki will face a longer spell on the sidelines while completing a one-match suspension, talisman Rob Forster will return from his ban along with the injured trio Callum O'Berg, Ollie Lewin and Cam Cleaver.

Sheehan said: "The last three games have been really difficult for us as a squad with so many injuries.

"Johan Coughlan has also gone to Blackstones full-time while Archie Sootheran is travelling for three months.

"Hopefully things will start to ease now because Rob will be back for the next match after suspension while Cal, Ollie and Cam should also return by the end of this month."

Uppingham are currently four points clear at the top of the table but second-placed Moulton Harrox have four games in hand on the Rutland side.

They cut the gap on Saturday with a 3-2 home success over a Sawtry side who had beaten Town in their last outing.

Uppingham had gone closest to breaking the deadlock after a quiet opening 30 minutes when Danny Sheehan hit the crossbar with a header from Josh Porter's corner.

Sawtry then took the lead on the stroke of half-time when a good header went in off the post after a free-kick had been crossed into the box.

Town struck the crossbar for a second time after the break through Sam Blackwell's header from a Marcus Baines centre.

Turiccki then collected his second caution of the game after 55 minutes to leave Town to play the rest of the match with 10 men.

A cross from the right was then volleyed in from 15 yards to see Sawtry double their advantage on the hour mark.

Uppingham had a good spell of pressure in the final 20 minutes and Danny Sheehan headed home a Jimmy Howe free-kick to cut the deficit.

They came close to snatching a share of the spoils after Sam Eldridge shot over when well-placed from a Will Thomas cross.

Manager Sheehan added: "Obviously it was disappointing to lose and it was a game of fine margins.

"If Danny’s first header had gone in, it's a different game and the same for Blackwell's effort in the second half.

"We lost the game due to a really good header and a great volley - apart from that we weren't overly troubled.

"Having said that, we didn't create enough ourselves and that is the disappointing thing. We battled away well with 10 men and still played with a belief we would get back in the game."

Uppingham Reserves' home match with Netherton A on Saturday was also postponed. They visit Thorney this weekend.

Oakham United travel to Ramsey Town on Saturday after being without a game at the weekend.

Cottesmore's match at Ashby Ivanhoe Knights in the Leicestershire Senior League Premier Division was also called off due to a frozen pitch. They host Burbage & Huncote on Saturday.

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies - Learn More