Home   Spalding   News   Article

Subscribe Now

‘So sad… loved every minute!’ Readers react to news there will be no Spalding Flower Parade next year





There will be no Spalding Flower Parade next year, the organiser has said.

Stephen Timewell, who has been the driving force behind the popular event returning for the past two years after its decade-long break, announced today (Friday, May 24) that he will not be putting the show on again in 2025.

He cited the personal toll on himself, his family and team of volunteers, a lack of funding and support from the area’s authorities and red tape among his reasons.

Holbeach Town Band entertain the crowds PHOTO: CHRIS LOWNDES
Holbeach Town Band entertain the crowds PHOTO: CHRIS LOWNDES

Tens of thousands lined the streets for the past two parades and, of course, many residents and visitors have been left saddened by the news.

“So sad to be reading this…we had a wonderful time watching this year and last year. Thank you Stephen for bringing that joy to our family and friends…bow out with your head held high,” wrote Philippa Heanes.

Jackie Wright added: “How awful. We went this year after the break of ten years and loved it. It brings people into your town from far and wide and must help cafes and shops.”

Spalding Round Table members with A Knight's Tale PHOTO: CHRIS LOWNDES
Spalding Round Table members with A Knight's Tale PHOTO: CHRIS LOWNDES

Heidi Rebecca Sciberras said: “Me and my cousin came from abroad to watch it last year. Loved every minute of it.”

There were plenty of people quick to thank Mr Timewell for putting on the parade over the past two years.

Click here for all the coverage of this year’s Flower Parade.

“Stephen you'll always be the greatest showman of Spalding. I've enjoyed the two years it has returned and I can only imagine what a mammoth task,” said Lesley Cumper.

Spectators await in the arrival of Spalding Flower Parade in the town centre
Spectators await in the arrival of Spalding Flower Parade in the town centre

Kay Emma thanked Mr Timewell and his team of volunteers.

She said: “It was a boost to the community, and all local businesses.. thanks to you guys… you have shown what the place could be.”

Nick Day added: “Well I hope Stephen Timewell is collecting his MBE next year instead of organising the flower parade! I’m not surprised it is cancelled but I sincerely hope it can be brought back again in the near future.”

The Spalding Flower Parade has surpassed all expectations says its organiser Stephen Timewell
The Spalding Flower Parade has surpassed all expectations says its organiser Stephen Timewell

Christine Browne said: “Well done for giving Spalding a parade for the past two years you did us proud.”

Tori Kingman added: “So sad but today understand your reasons. Every single person that watched the parade was in awe of what you and your volunteers did. Couldn’t believe the sheer volume of floats, people, life in the town. It bought everyone together again that is for sure.”

One reader also suggested an alternative venue to host the parade due to the Castle complex being potentially out of action.

The iconic Eye of the Tiger float, submitted by Bakkavor, PHOTO: CHRIS LOWNDES
The iconic Eye of the Tiger float, submitted by Bakkavor, PHOTO: CHRIS LOWNDES

Malcolm Pepper wrote: “Why not use the Sir Halley Stewart Playing Field. It 'belongs' to the people of Spalding.”

Others, meanwhile haven’t given up hope of the parade returning and hope someone else could take on the mantle.

“People come from all over the country, so we need to get this out all over the county, start asking for help further a field,” said Lorraine Evans.

“We can’t just give up, maybe someone out there will see we need help, and are willing to help. Use social media platforms, show our parade and what it means to people of Spalding, and those that come to see it and enjoy it. You might get sponsors, come forward who want to get involved.”

Many posters were also critical of South Holland District Council and wanted to see them do more to back the parade.

Mr Timewell had said previously he didn’t want the authority involved in the running of the event and leader Coun Nick Worth has also stressed the cost of putting on the parade would double if the council took it on.

What do you think? Post your comment below.



This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies - Learn More