Home   Spalding   Sport   Article

Subscribe Now

Spalding United beat Loughborough Dynamo in the Northern Premier League

Three goals in the opening 19 minutes helped lay the foundations for a terrific response from Spalding United on Saturday.

The Tulips bounced back from last weekend's disappointing defeat at Bedworth United with a 4-2 home victory over Loughborough Dynamo.

Jordan Graham, Sam Warburton and Tyler Winters were on target in an impressive start to the match from Elliot Sandy's side against their fourth-placed visitors.

Warburton was again on target for Spalding after the break where Loughborough netted twice through Connor Furey and Evan Garnett.

Tulips boss Sandy had made six changes to his starting line-up following last weekend's below-par performance.

James Clifton, Warburton, Sam Cartwright, Winters, Graham and Joe Curtis all returned to the starting eleven with Stacey Freeman, Kyle Barker, Riley O'Sullivan and Dan Sweeney among those on the bench.

And the changes paid dividends as the Tulips put the contest beyond the reach of their visitors after the opening 45 minutes.

Loughborough had created the first opening of the game when Rio Molyneux shot over after finding space at the far post.

Spalding then took an 11th minute lead when Clifton and Lamine Sherif linked well down the right before crossing for Graham to tuck home a tidy near post finish.

The lead was doubled five minutes later when Winters drilled in a low shot which evaded Dynamo goalkeeper Lewis King with Warburton converting at the back post.

A third goal in an eight minute spell then saw Winters head home from a corner after he had gone close seconds earlier when he narrowly failed to convert a headed knock-down from Clifton.

Loughborough looked for a way back into the contest and it needed a fine save from Tulips goalkeeper Tony Breeden to repel a shot from Evan Garnett and keep Spalding in the ascendency.

Skipper Nathan Stainfield twice came close to extending the lead further in first half stoppage time but saw two headed efforts from corners blocked by the visiting defence.

Clifton and Stainfield both went close with headers at the start of the second half while Dynamo's Mitchell Robinson headed over from a setpiece at the other end.

Visiting goalkeeper King was then at full stretch to tip away a shot from Clifton while a fine last-ditch challenge from Robinson denied Winters after he had broken the offside trap.

King again did well to block a fierce first-time shot from Lewis Hilliard before Dynamo reduced the arrears with 20 minutes remaining.

A well-worked move found Connor Furey in space at the back post and he slotted his finish past the advancing Breeden.

However, any hopes of Dynamo mounting an unlikely recovery were quickly dashed by Warburton who scored his second and Spalding's fourth of the afternoon with a fine finish into the bottom corner after a strong individual run.

Garnett again cut the deficit from the penalty spot with 11 minutes remaining after he had been fouled in the area but it too little too late to deny the Tulips the three points.

Tulips: Breeden, Clifton (Sweeney), Warburton, Walker, Stainfield, Cartwright, Hilliard, Sherif (Barker), Winters, Graham (O'Sullivan), Curtis. Subs not used: Freeman, Sandy.

Dynamo: King, Anderson, Chapman, Moore (Gibson), Robinson, Bucci, Furey, Norris, Garnett, Molyneaux, Ball (Carter). Subs not used: Mee, Bangura.

Attendance: 563.

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies - Learn More